Renovating your bathroom into the perfect space requires more thought than many people think. Planning, and finding the ideal products are just part of what makes a bathroom renovation successful. Here are the top mistakes people make when renovating their bathroom and what we do to avoid them.
Not Enough Storage
Often homeowners do not use all of the space that they have a bathroom and lose out on opportunities for storage. When designing the bathroom space with the contractor, be sure that every area available is used for something. Sometimes a contractor can open up a wall or build in a shelving unit or closet.
Fixtures and Materials that Date
Following a trend can be dangerous because trends come and go. The average life span of a remodeling trend is two years. Stay away from crazy patterns such as pink tiles, chocolate sanitary ware, and crazy border tiles. Stick with classic and clean lines, colors, and fixtures. Elegant bathrooms have a broad appeal that lasts for years to come.
Poor Lighting & Power Sources
Lighting is an item that many homeowners ignore, yet, can make a massive difference in value and profitability. When remodeling your bath, check to make sure you have enough GFCI outlets for things like hairdryers, shavers, and curling irons. Next, review your lighting options. Would special, heated lighting make your bath experience more pleasant? Are there options to dim lights or brighten them? Are the lighting fixtures up to date with the latest technology making your life easier? Now is the time to visit these options. Even the addition of a single outlet can make a big difference in the bathroom.
Proper ventilation is essential when remodeling a bathroom. It can reduce moisture and mold issues, reduce the growth of harmful bacteria, and make the area more comfortable. Showering, flushing the toilet and washing your hands’ increases moisture to the air. High humidity in a bathroom can cause mold and mildew issues as well as grow harmful bacteria such as staphylococcus and streptococcus. Ways you can improve the ventilation in your bathroom are by adding a window or a new, more powerful fan system.
Cutting Costs on Waterproofing
Although some projects are simple enough for the average DIY person, who is looking to save money, cutting corners and costs on waterproofing is a bad idea. In the long run, when your quick fix fails, you will be looking at costly repairs and a possible hazmat situation if black mold grows where the waterproofing failed. To ensure you do not have future issues in the bathroom, hire a professional to waterproof the area.
The holiday season is fast approaching. Halloween is right around the corner and then boom– Time to Celebrate! Family, friends, and festive meals are everywhere. Is your home ready?
Before you string up the lights and start baking that cranberry orange bread, maybe it is time to remodel. This seasons remodeling can take your home to new levels in entertainment, functionality, and peace of mind.
Consider our holiday remodeling tips to prepare your home for the busy season ahead!
Home Renovations to Consider
Before inviting everyone over for the holidays, you first need to decide where to start with your remodeling. We have put together the key areas of every home.
The center of every holiday is food, and so we begin with kitchen remodeling. There are areas that you should consider when remodeling your kitchen, such as:
- Flooring -For effortless cleanup and durability consider hardwood flooring or tiles.
- Install new counters – Granite, tile, quartz, and butcher block countertops update the focal point in your kitchen.
- Upgrade appliances- New Smart Appliances can help assist you in your holiday meal planning.
- Install new cabinets- Replace cabinets with organizational cabinets that allow for a space for everything.
- Install new lighting- Nothing worse than working in a dimly lit kitchen. Adding new upgraded energy-efficient lighting can help.
The next space that is often used is the bathroom. Impress your guests with an updated area.
- Update old sinks and tubs
- Consider a stand-in shower with high-quality tiles.
- Replace outdated flooring and add new tile flooring.
- Install new cabinets or more cabinets if you do not have enough storage space.
After a good meal, the guests can enjoy the quality time together in a great new entertainment area.
- Add a built-in movie theater room.
- Create a gaming room with a billiards table.
- Build in a custom bar with seating for everyone.
- Install surround sound for music and sporting events like Thanksgiving football.
- Perhaps if you have a hunting sportsman in the family, a trophy room would be nice.
- Don’t forget a play area for the kids. Include a gaming system, surround sound, and comfortable seating.
When guests first enter your home, the first thing they see is the entryway. Make that space, both useful and welcoming with some of these great ideas:
- Add a mudroom with space for coats, umbrellas, hats, and boots.
- Upgrade your front door to a stylish energy-efficient door.
- Upgrade entry windows with energy-efficient windows.
- Add new floorings such as tile or hardwood.
- Create built-in shelving or custom closet space
- Decorate with holiday decor.
The holidays do not have to be hectic. With a few great remodeling projects, your home can be both inviting and functional. For your holiday updates, contact High Quality Contracting today at 414-405-7542.